August 16, 2014 in Income Reports
Welcome to my July 2014 income report. Last month was a very busy month for me. I was quite ambitious and it really paid off! I am happy to say that this is my first 4-figure month consisting of all online income. In July, I released 3 apps in the Apple App Store and they contributed to a significant portion of my earnings. The first app was released at the beginning of the month and is currently my most successful app to date. I call this one successful only because compared to my other apps, this is a big winner for me.
You’ve probably heard that success doesn’t come overnight and that’s very true in my experience. It wasn’t until I published my 5th app before I found a successful theme. I’ll list the names of my new apps below. Because it sometimes takes quite awhile to find any kind of success with apps, I’m really glad that I’m reskinning apps instead of creating them from scratch. As a result, I do not have the expenses of hiring a graphic designer or programmer. At this time, my only costs are the source codes I’ve purchased which range from $99 to $499.
One thing I shouldn’t have done when I started reskinning apps is buying too many source codes. Till now, I still haven’t reskinned the first code I bought and that one cost me $480. I’m going to stop buying source codes for now and work on the ones I have right now. It’s too easy to caught up in all the hype from some of the email lists I’m signed up for when a new source code is released. They all promise an easy reskin process and almost instant profits. I have found neither to be true… at least for me. I guess you could say that the design part is easy for me but it is VERY time consuming because of the sheer number of graphics that need to be changed in a single source code.
I’m pretty fast when it comes to Photoshop but it still takes me a long time to create all the graphics. A lot of time could be saved if I hire a designer and programmer but I don’t feel it’s the right time to go that route yet. So I successfully cranked out 3 apps with one of them getting rejected and resubmitted. In the end, all 3 were approved before the end of the month.
App Release 1: Ghost Camera
The first app I released was called Ghost Camera: Make Paranormal Apparition Photos with Scary Photo Stickers. This is an app based on Austin Church’s Mustache Bash code. This photo app allows users to add transparent ghosts to photos to prank people. It was my first reskin of this code and there was a lot to learn in this one. I would not recommend this as a first reskin for first-time reskinners. There are a TON of graphics in this one. Not only do you have to create all the stickers, there are thumbnails and banners. Not to mention the user interface is a completely separate set of graphics to recreate.
Regarding the thumbnails, there are 4 thumbnails to make for each sticker graphic. Just so you get an idea of the number of graphics, the Free Pack has 16 stickers. Multiply that by 4 thumbnails and you get 64 individual graphics you have to create just in this one pack. Some of the individual stickers have 5 versions themselves. I would guess that the first pack has about 80+ graphic files in it that need to be changed. If you think that’s a lot of graphics, you are correct! Keep in mind that there are 8 graphic packs total in this source code. Believe me when I say there are a ton of graphics in this app… not to mention the user interface graphics too.
However, I am very pleased with the results I got and feel like my time was not wasted creating this app. For the ghost images, I found a site with vintage public domain photos and cut them all out in Photoshop. This was perhaps the most time consuming part of the whole process.
Like I said earlier, this is now my most successful app to date. Ghost Camera got over 800 downloads in the first 3 days with a total of 4200 downloads in the first month. Since this is sort of a Halloween theme app, I am expecting more downloads as we get closer to October. Read the rest of this entry →